In the previous post we had talked about the various fields of specialization in Mechanical Engineering. Each field has their own sub fields, therefore we have decided to help you get an idea of these sub fields, the subjects involved and the tools required in order to have a successful career.
As you saw in Chapter -2, majority of Mechanical Engineering job providers are Automotive manufacturing companies. What are the various roles in which these automobile engineers get recruited for? Let’s explore,
- Safety Engineering – Crash Test Analysis: Seat belt, air bag functionality testing, front and side impact testing, and tests of rollover resistance.
- Topics you need to focus on to increase your job prospect – Finite Elemental Analysis (FEA) & tools based on crash testing, ANSYS, HyperMesh might be a good start.
- Fuel Economy & Emissions – Development of Emission solutions, filtration systems
- Topics you need to focus on to increase your job prospect – Combustion, Chemical Kinetics, Experimental Mechanics, Matlab, LabView.
- Vehicle Dynamics – Design of the chassis systems of suspension, steering, braking, structure (frame), wheels and tires, and traction control.
- Topics you need to focus on to increase your job prospect – Design of Machine Elements, Kinematics of Machines, Dynamics, Vibrations, 3D modeling softwares – CREO, SolidWorks, etc.
- Noise and Vibration Harness NVH Engineering – NVH response can be classified in various ways: powertrain NVH, road noise, wind noise, component noise, and squeak and rattle. These noises are generated by components either rubbing, vibrating, or rotating.
- Topics you need to focus on to increase your job prospect – Dynamics, Applied Mechanics, Experimental Mechanics, FEA, ANSYS and tools similiar to it
- Vehicle Electronics – Channel the electrical and mechanical engineer in you. You will be working on operational controls such as the throttle, brake and steering controls, HVAC, infotainment, and lighting systems. Nowadays Vehicle electronics plays a part in Safety & Fuel economy, Carputers, telematics, in-car entertainment systems
- Topics you need to focus on to increase your job prospect – Transmission, Chassis Electronics, Entertainment systems, safety and Passenger comfort(HVAC) – Electronics and Heat and Mass Transfer.
- Design – Performance, Shift Quality, Durability, Package and ergonomics engineering,
- Topics you need to focus on to increase your job prospect – Drag, ergonomics, manufacturable designing, 3D Modeling tools.
- Manufacturing, Quality, Production, Assembly – Developing a cost effective production Mechanism to aid in mass manufacturing.
- Topics you need to focus on to increase your job prospect – Optimization, 6 Sigma, Math, Manufacturing Process, Tooling mechanisms.
Ooooo, that’s a lot of knowledge dump.
I guess now you know what you want to pursue and the skill sets you need to get trained on. Now the question might be where to acquire these skill sets? That’s a good question. Remember, this is a Masters in Mechanical Engineering Playbook, so next up is the universities that you need to look into if you are serious about specializing in Automotive Engineering.
Till then, See ya !